End in March 31, 2021
Ontario Small Business Support Grant
Applications are open for the new Ontario Small Business Support Grant, which helps small businesses that are required to close or significantly restrict services under the Provincewide Shutdown effective December 26, 2020.
What you’ll get
Starting at $10,000 for all eligible businesses, the grant provides businesses with funding to a maximum of $20,000 to help cover decreased revenue expected as a result of the Provincewide Shutdown.
To receive the grant, a small business must:
- be required to close or restrict services subject to the Provincewide Shutdown effective 12:01 a.m. on December 26
- have fewer than 100 employees at the enterprise level
- have experienced a minimum of 20 percent revenue decline comparing April 2020 to April 2019 revenues. New businesses established since April 2019 are also eligible provided they meet the other eligibility criteria
Businesses that are not eligible include those that were already required to close prior to the introduction of modified Stage 2 measures on October 10, 2020, and essential business permitted to operate with capacity restrictions (e.g., discount and big box stores selling groceries, supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, and beer, wine and liquor stores).
Small businesses not in operation in April 2019 or April 2020 will be able to select alternative months for comparing revenue decline through the application portal.
Businesses will have to have a business number in order to be eligible. If a business does not have a business number, they will be directed to apply for a business number before they can proceed with their application.
They also need to have information about the revenue decline and number of employees available and would have to attest to the information provided in their application.
- Before- and after- school programs
- Cannabis retail stores
- Cell phone and computer providers & repairs
- Community centres and multi-purpose facilities
- Conference centres and convention centres
- Day camps for children
- Domestic services
- Drive-in cinemas
- Driving instruction
- Facilities for indoor sports and recreational fitness activities (including fitness centres and gyms)
- Garden centres
- Hardware stores (including Big Box stores) required to close for in-person shopping
- In person teaching and instruction
- Media industries including film and television production (excluding radio/television broadcasting)
- Meeting or event space
- Museums, galleries, aquariums, zoos, science centres, landmarks, historic sites, botanical gardens and similar attraction
- Outdoor markets (excluding grocery)
- Outdoor sports and recreation facilities
- Performing arts and cinemas
- Personal care services relating to the hair or body (excluding oxygen bars)
- Personal services
- Pet/animal food and services
- Photography services
- Racing venues, casinos, bingo halls and gaming establishments
- Rental and leasing services (including automobile, commercial and light industrial machinery and equipment rental)
- Restaurants and bars
- Retail required to close for in-person shopping
- Safety, medical and assistive devices retail (excluding pharmacies)
- Shopping malls
- Ski hills
- Tour and guide services
- Vehicle and equipment repair services
- Veterinary services
When can you expect the payment
Within approximately 10 business days.