About emergency assistance
If you are in an emergency situation and you live in Ontario, you might be eligible for emergency assistance.
If you are eligible for emergency assistance, the amount you get will depend on your specific situation. In most cases, you will not get more than what you would get on Ontario Works.
For example, you may get:
- approximately $733 for a month if you are a single person and need help paying for food and shelter
- more if you have children
- up to 48 days of support depending on your specific situation
You may qualify if you live in Ontario (not a visitor or tourist), are in a crisis or emergency situation, and do not have enough money for things like food and housing. For example, a crisis or emergency includes situations where you:
- have been affected by COVID-19
- are being evicted from your home
- are in or are leaving an abusive relationship
- are worried about your safety
You are not eligible if you are:
- getting assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program
You should submit only one application for you and your immediate family.
If you choose to apply online, your application will follow these steps. It will take about 15 to 20 minutes to apply.
To complete your application online, you will need the latest version of one of these browsers:
Step 1: gather the necessary information and submit your application
You will need:
- personal details for you and your family
- your housing costs
- your family’s total income and available assets
- your bank account information (if you have one) so you can get your payment quickly
Step 2: Ontario Works reviews your application
A worker at your local Ontario Works office will review your application.
Step 3: Your local Ontario Works office will contact you
A worker from your local Ontario Works office will contact you within four business days of submitting your application. This does not include weekends and holidays.
They may ask you to provide more information to verify your application, like copies of bills or other documents.
If no additional information is required, they may tell you if your application has been approved and how much you can expect to receive.
Step 4: if you are eligible you will get a payment by direct deposit or cheque
If your application is approved your local Ontario Works office will issue you a payment right away. If you provided your bank information, you will get a payment in your bank account within 2 business days. If you did not provide your bank information, you can expect a cheque to arrive in the mail in 7 business days.