The CRA has provided convenient ways for you to get the CERB as quickly as possible. Most people are able to complete the application in under 2 minutes, and receive payments through direct deposit within 2 business days.
The CRA also needs to ensure that the CERB is paid to and kept only by those individuals who are eligible.
You must repay the CERB if you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for the 4-week period in question. This could happen if:
- you earned employment or self-employment income earlier than expected
- you applied for the CERB but later realize you’re not eligible
- you receive a CERB payment from both Service Canada and the CRA for the same period
Impact on tax slips
The CERB is taxable. You will receive a T4A tax slip on the amount of CERB you receive.
If you repay the CERB, the CRA won’t issue a T4A for that payment. To ensure that CRA don’t issue slips improperly, you need to repay your CERB before December 31, 2020.
To repay the CERB, choose one of the following options:
If you were paid by direct deposit or don’t have the original CERB cheque
- Online: using CRA My Account
- Online banking: with your financial institution
- Sign in to your financial institution’s online banking service
- Under “Add a payee” look for an option such as: CRA (revenue) – tax instalment
- Enter your 9 digit social insurance number (SIN) as the CRA account number
- By mail: mail a cheque or money order to the CRA
- Make the payment out to “Receiver General for Canada”
- Indicate it is for “Repayment of CERB”
- Indicate which eligibility period you are repaying
- Include your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or your Temporary Tax Number (TTN)
- Mail your payment, refer to: Mail back your payment.
If you still have the original CERB cheque
You can return the cheque by mail.
Revenue Processing – Repayment of CERB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C3
Be sure to include:
- the reason for returning the cheque (not entitled or overpayment)
- your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Temporary Tax Number (TTN)
If you require any assistance or have any further questions, please feel free to contact us by phone at 905-771-1131 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.